Friday, September 2, 2011

More On Etching

I've had so many pieces in the process stage during the last three weeks that I have forgotten to add to my post on etching. Here is my etched bi-metal piece on a handforged copper neck ring:

Bi-Metal Etching of Mimbres Pottery Shard
Another etching design I have used is a print of New Mexico artist Nan Orr's black and white designs. So far, I've only etched these on copper by printing them first on Press N Peel paper and then transferring the designs to copper with heat from an iron.
Copper Etched Pieces on Fused Fine Silver Chain



Two 1"x1/2" Etched Copper Rectangles


Nan Orr's Sunflower Etched on Copper Square

It is really fun to transfer this artist's designs to copper with PnP and then etch them. If the designs don't fill in when transferred, you can fill them in by hand with a Sharpie fine tip, permanent marker. I love having that ability to fix the design before it goes into the etchant.

Annie at A Spinner Weaver blogspot, has a post about an artist in Illinois, George Colin, who paints in a colorful, primitive style. When I saw the post and his work, I thought how it would look when transferred to copper for an etching. Hmmmmmm. Ya never know what will happen next! 



2 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks like fun. I'll have to keep an eye out to see what else you do with this etching process. And I agree that it's fun to take another artist's work as inspiration and create from there. ~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got caught up in the yarn bombing blogs that I found on your blog tonight, Annie. You have so much color and colorful connections there! Terrific.

    ReplyDelete