Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Eight Days 'Til Idyllwild

The time is passing quickly and there is a lot to do in preparation for Metals Week. If past performance is an indicator, I will be very busy on the last day. This week I have been filling orders for my Etsy shop, gathering tools, labeling tools and making happy plans! One thing I accomplished is fabrication of this new ring.
I made this by first creating two plain silver bands of the same size. Then I melted some fine silver scrap into little balls and hammered the balls flat. The next step was to make a ring shaped solder block out of an old solder block. I did this by scraping the shape with a box knife. This held the two rings and allowed me to place the flattened silver balls between them, add solder, add fire and join the pieces together. It worked!

The stone is one of the agate druzies I brought back from New Mexico in April. Since it isn't flat on the bottom, I placed a silver wire seat in the bezel and rested the stone on that. The bezel was a little large for the stone but lots of pushing and burnishing finally secured it. The stone is 3/4" long and 5/8" wide with lots of sparkle from added Titanium. I love the combination of rugged silver setting with the druzy and Titanium sparkle.



I love it! What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment