Saturday, June 25, 2011

On The Road To Idyllwild

Thursday was the big day. The day I gathered my stuff and packed it in the car for the adventurous trip to Idyllwild, CA. I am familiar with Interstate 5 in California and I know the speed limit often gets pushed a bit on this road. Somehow, motorists get in the way if they are really going the speed limit. The crowning glory was the 20 miles of construction between Bakersfield and Los Angeles. The only thing more boring than Interstate 5 is slowing down to 3 miles an hour for construction, not once but twice--maybe three times. I should have taken pictures of the crazy drivers, the crazy signs but I didn't. So I found this one. I wonder what we would do if we were asked to go 50 miles an hour on this highway now?


 Highway Sign Along Interstate #5 Shows the 50 Mile an Hour Limit Imposed by Officials in That State as Well as Oregon before a Federal Order Asked Motorists Throughout the Nation to Slow Down 11/1973

I spent the night in a town I remember as Valencia, California but is mostly Santa Clarita, CA now.
This morning I drove up the Interstate 210 and found it to be much more user friendly than the 5. In places it was even attractive. After another freeway change I got to Banning, CA where I turned onto the road to Idyllwild. This road is special. It goes through beautiful country and in 25 miles it climbs about 6,000 feet then drops down to 5,000 at Idyllwild. It does this with many, many hairpin turns.

                                                             The Flier For Metals Week

Idyllwild did not disappoint me. It is charming and very secluded. My cell phone doesn't work and I have no TV or radio. However, I do have Wi-Fi. Perfect. I checked in, got my room assignment and settled in.

                                                   The Piano Bench at Bowman Hall!

So, goodnight from Idyllwild. I am going to bed in order to be awake tomorrow for the walking, the
talking, and the learning. Also for picture taking!

No comments:

Post a Comment