Saturday, January 14, 2012

2012 Creative Start

My first big creative adventure of the New Year will be to attend a custom clasps workshop with Alison Antelman January 21 and 22,  in Berkeley. I was first entranced with Alison's work in December when I attended  Berkeley Artisans Holiday Open Studios tour. I did seek out Alison's studio as one I wanted to see and I was not disappointed. I learned several helpful things by just talking with her and seeing the way she works. Maybe this is the greatest gift that we receive from other artists--inspiration and encouragement to be original.

Alison Antelman Soldering An Earring

I had not been interested in making clasps before I saw Alison's work and now, I can't wait to learn any little piece of the skills she can teach me. Her clasps are so gorgeous (all pieces in this post are hers) that I can see how a special one could become the focal point of a necklace or bracelet. I also know that working with this much preciseness will be a challenge for me. Bring it on.

Alison's Bracelet With Clasp




Bracelet Featured in December's Lapidary Journal
Photos by Eric Smith

 A clasp even close to this, in any remote way, will be the goal and I will keep you informed as to my progress. Or I am open for my goal to change and the result will be unique!

This is one of the things I want to do more of this year--stretch and grow artistically. Alison's class seems like a great opportunity to do this. Surely I will be able develop a little bit of additional skill by just being in the same studio for two days with this talented metal artist and other artists in the class.
More posts about Alison and her work will follow soon.

What do you want to learn this year? What is your favorite way to learn? I would love to hear about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment