Thursday, December 9, 2010

Handmade Spark Challenge #1: How My Creativity Has Changed

My friends over at Handmade Spark are trying to get me to be more consistent with my blog entries, and I welcome the nudge.
http://www.handmadespark.com/blog/creative-handmade-spark-blogging-challenge-spark-one/ Each challenge provides a topic for a blog entry so here is my post for the first one (I am behind already): How My Creativity Has Changed in the Past Year or What I did on my summer vacation. No, wait. That was another assignment.

This past year, I moved from my townhouse to my daughter's home since my granddaughters are both in college and it made sense to combine houses. Besides, my daughter and son-in-law are fun to be with and supportive of my addiction to fire, metal and hammering. I moved from working on my dining room table to working at a work bench in the garage with cabinets and drawers and everything, even a cat! It is great to have my mess out of the house and in its own place although it took time to organize for most effective use of both house space and work space. There are climate challenges in the garage space but I am working around those quite well until we can build another space.


Looking at my work now, I realize that I could not have made the creative progress that I have made in the space in which I was working previously. I've added several bench tools, more micro torches, (The big one is yet to come. Probably this year.) The mess is still there and I have decided my creative approach centers around "chaos theory". When many unfinished components are lying where I can see them, something clicks visually and larger pieces almost create themselves. This happens often when I am repeating production processes that might seem boring to someone else. As I do the repetitive work, it frees the creative part of me and I can visualize something completely different and unique.

Next week is my birthday week and I am now officially ancient, a crone if you will. Yet, I am excited about every day and I love the creative possibilities that lie ahead.

1 comment: