Friday, April 23, 2010

Using What You Have

Tonight marks the second time I have finished a post, moved a finger the wrong way on my new MacPro laptop and lost the post. Grrrrrrrrrr! OK, I'm over it but this post will be short. Creatively speaking, it has been a good week. I designed two new pair of earrings using my stash of vintage brass survey tags and texture, more like distressed, copper. I patinated the copper with flame and olive oil (not together, please) producing a milk chocolate color on the copper discs. After hammering the brass discs and soaking them in magic liquid, they were varied colors of copper and brass, with a slightly rough finish. They look like they have been buried for hundreds of years. I then cut some tiny discs from the 3/4" discs, leaving a terrific large shape which I used with the copper discs and the tiny discs which I attached to the distressed copper rectangles. I had riveted brass discs to the rectangles with silver tubing. These are very unique.

At one time, in California, Registered Civil Engineers marked their survey points with brass discs that were stamped with their RCE license number on them. Sometime (I need to do some research) in the 80's or 90's these were replaced with plastic. On revisiting these tags after a number of years, I began visualizing jewelry. Enjoy the pictures--if I can get them up.

Good thoughts,
M--

No comments:

Post a Comment